Monday, September 28, 2009

Meet Annie

This summer I had the opportunity to spend time with a beautiful family- the MacDonald's. I went to High school with Bridget several years ago (oy- it feels like just yesterday)- but only just reconnected through facebook. When I first heard the story of their family and the joy and the journey they have been on - my heart broke and beauty soared from the hearts of 4 people who love one little girl more than she will ever understand.

Meet Annie-
Annie is 4 years old and has what is called Rett's syndrome. I am sure most of you have never heard of it (neither have I) but I can only imagine the journey the family has been on. To have a healthy little girl that has gradually regressed to be unable to take care of herself but more importantly unable to enjoy many of the things many young children enjoy-- as Bridget describes: "Rett Syndrome is a devastating disease that has robbed Annie of any sort of independence. She is not able to
run, color, sing, dance, feed herself, reach for a toy, or tell us her needs and wants. Annie’s autonomic system has been affected, she has trouble chewing and swallowing and is fed through a g-tube for extra nourishment. She has anxiety, poor circulation, severe digestive problems, trouble regulating her breathing and body temperature, disrupted sleep patterns and scoliosis. Annie will need 24 hour care for the rest ofher life. Currently there are no treatments or cure for Rett Syndrome."

Can you imagine: the symptoms of autism, cerebral palsy, Parkinson’s, epilepsy, and anxiety disorders....ALL IN ONE LITTLE GIRL. That is Annie. And in spite of the disabilities she has she is a brilliant and happy little girl. I had the chance to see her smile- hear her laugh and see the joy on her brother and sisters faces as they shared time together. This for sure is one of my favorite pictures.



This family inspires me and captures the truth behind the joy of why I take pictures.




0 comments:

Labels

ck photography's Fan Box

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP